Celebrate the countdown with the MirrorBall at the Salt Palace on 12/31 at 11:59pm, America’s largest MirrorBall will hover above the Comcast CountDown Plaza on 200 South, just south of the Salt Palace. Come see the ball drop to a light show as we countdown the final minutes of 2016!
Comcast CountDown Plaza Schedule:
|DJ Flash & Flare||7:30-8:30|
|SL STEEZ||11:00 – Midnight|
Plus, fire dancers and drum performances throughout the evening.
December 30: The MirrorBall will be on the ground and open for people to walk through.
December 31: The MirrorBall will be suspended and ready to drop!
MirrorBall by the numbers:
- MirrorBall is 20 ft in diameter, over 60 ft in circumference and built with 1200 12″ square mirrors.
- MirrorBall weighs in at 2433 lbs.
- Every piece of MirrorBall has been designed and built by a team of local artists and engineered by lead Artist Derek Dyer. Each piece has been custom cut and assembled by hand.
- More than 50 volunteers worked on the assembly.
- MirrorBall has a secret hatch to access the inside of the ball. At last attempt, 78 clowns fit inside MirrorBall.
Thank you to the Salt Lake City Council for challenging our team to eliminate fireworks from the countdown and for supporting our efforts to create a memorable community celebration. Winter inversion is a challenge for our city and community. Fireworks contribute to the particulate matter in the air. We are happy to minimize any negative impact.
About the artist: The largest mirror ball in the U.S. is the creation of Artist Derek Dyer in association with the Utah Arts Alliance.